Are you an aspiring tarot reader? The first thing you’ll need to do is choose a tarot deck. There are a number of phenomenal decks out there. You may be familiar with the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, as it is among the most popular decks for beginners. Other popular tarot decks include the Pagan Otherworlds, Wild Unknown, Visconti-Sforza, and the Tarot de Marseille.
As a beginner, you may be hesitant to purchase your own deck. But don’t let that stop you. I’ve purchased just about every deck I own myself. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have one given to them as a gift. If you are lucky enough to have a new age, occult, or metaphysical shop nearby, such shops would be great places to look! However, it is perfectly okay to look for a deck online. Either way, I recommend that you try to get a good look at the card images before making a concrete decision to purchase any deck.
Likewise, regardless of whether you’re looking online or in a nearby shop, there are a number of things to consider when selecting a tarot deck. This is a personal journey for you, don’t rush into grabbing just any deck because your best friend raves about the one he/she likes to work with. Take your time and be sure to ask yourself the following questions:
- Are you looking for a more traditional design? Or do you desire something more modern?
- Do you like the imagery?
- Does the artwork foster strong feelings?
- Can you intuitively connect to the deck?
- Do the images allow you to connect with the card meanings?
- Is this deck appropriate for your experience level?
- Is this a quality deck? You want to make sure that, when purchasing a deck, you select one that can handle regular use.
Do not be afraid to let your intuition guide you when choosing a deck. It will not steer you wrong. It is important to choose a deck that speaks to you.
Next post in this series:
Caring for Your Tarot Deck